Iraquis in dire straits

Jon Ford jonmfordster@hotmail.com
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 09:57:54 -0700

Margot--The "healthy,"  well-nourished look of many Iraquis was something I
noticed throughout the war. This was a country and an economy  that had been
seriously damaged by the Gulf War and the embargo, but it was still
functioning, feeding its people as well as it could (although there was a
high infant mortality rate), doing business more or less as usual (which
meant repression of religious freedoms and the right to say anything bad
about Saddam) . Will things get better now after the "liberation"?  I'm not
really strongly confident of that, needless to say.

Jon